I'd intended to go to Macc Forest this evening, but I was late so ran to the airport perimeter. A cracking evening, blue skies and a soft low sun. You have to take the sun while it's there, but it's not how it once was. Where only a few weeks ago, it was strong, leaving crisp dark shadows on the road with the feeling you were running with someone, now the shadows are just ghosts of their former selves. Just a faint memory for company. This is Friday evening and everyone is somewhere, but no one is here. No other runners, no dog walkers, no cars on the road side or in the car park. Even the airport is quiet, just one small plane taking off, yet some somehow creeping it's way into the sky trying not to break the silence and isolation of this run.
If I'm going to run alone, then this is the best way...absolutely alone. Leave those people behind obsessively queuing for their new iPhone and all that that represents. There's living to be done, and it's out here. The sun is low and about to fall behind the clouds before sunset. I have thoughts of future running in the winter months, the fun of running somewhere high to watch the sunset, and then a dark head torch run back. Night time road running last year was OK, but I think it's time to step it up and do some proper night running in the woods. New head torch research needed. Back through the woods and under the tree canopy. Now just the sound of the river and the birds...a moments peace to savour... no-one is here.