Pete is worried about his ankles and elected not to come out, also muttering something about the nature of the invite that was less than clear about why exactly he'd want to join me in the woods after dark. James was up for it! As it turns out, twisted ankles were the least of our problems. Pitch black through The Carrs and out towards The Mill, we were shit scared. Potential PB territory this. The winds are blowing and I guess there is the very real risk of falling tree debris and pervs lurking around each dark corner.
But it was the bats and the flapping from the branches above that freaked me out. I've done a torch run before, and it's fun, sort of. But not on the trial. And this was an experiment to see if this is a goer for future running. I'm voting yes. But I wouldn't do it on my own...yet. I know that path like the back of my hand, yet tonight it was as if I'd never run it before. Suddenly what in the day is a slight kink to the left presents itself in the dark as a dead end. Running across the field a real test of point in the general direction and wait until you reach a hedge.
The new head torch is great. And with two or three people, the light is plenty bright enough. Obviously like kids, we stopped and turned them off, F++k, we both muttered stabbing frantically with fumbly teenage fingers trying to get the lights to come back on. That was dark. But everything else is still there, new noises, the smells in the air and touch of the ground, but more so. But it's a bit like running on a conveyor belt, though. Lots of ground passing under your feet, but nothing much to see ahead.
Arrrrgh..another bat, making us both scream. Idiots. I think we could do some good night running. So long as you know the path and where it's meant to go, it's fine. On the way home and back on the footpaths, I turned my torch off. Under the underpass down by Chris's I followed the path...to a dead end. About 45 seconds from home and I took a wrong turn without knowing. Head torch back on, ah, yes there it is, the path home. Very easy to get lost. Good running fun to be had here.
Going to be my last 'light' afterwork run on Thursday. Clocks back on Sunday. 5pm will then be 6, and dark.
Going to be my last 'light' afterwork run on Thursday. Clocks back on Sunday. 5pm will then be 6, and dark.