Sunday, 23 October 2016

An Autumnal Autumn

"I think in a few weeks time we may look back on mornings like these and conclude how lucky we've been"...is how I started my run brief for parkrun this week. It was as Autumn as Autumn can be. Sharp blue sky, setting off trees on the turn with a full spectrum of greens and golds marking the seasonal transition. And not a breath of wind. A busy weekend for me and a need to get the results out quick before I leave the park. It can be a solitary experience.

But with good organisation and using my phone as a hotspot...everyone gets their results text by 10am...then the weekend can begin. It's funny how just an hour later, the park can seem empty and lifeless, when before 130 runners were enjoying the sunshine, some morning cheer and making the park look like a thriving hubbub, energised and alive. Looking up after the results are posted, it seems I'm alone, randomly sat at a desk with a laptop. Seemingly Chris, who helped me, was fielding questions... "what's he doing?"

The day had begun much earlier though, with what has been a full week of early headtorch runs with my light of many lumens. It's dark, so I've embraced it and gone off road, and then some. No street lamps, car lights or anything to guide my way...only cow eyes winking at me, seemingly disinterested. It's been fun, but such a contrast to the glorious daylight we've been enjoying. There to embrace. I've been wearing a 3 day heart rate monitor. It feels like I'm being watched...from within. I don't like it, but what's a man to do?