I had an email from parkrun today. Apparently I'd completed my 50th parkrun, so a congratulatory note came my way. It was news to me, which I took with a dose of indifference. I've been doing parkrun for seemingly ages and most certainly have marshalled more than I have run. I'm sure there are many milestones we all pass which go unoticed. And by noticed, I mean some kind of automatic thing which informs you and the world of your whereabouts. With parkrun, you accept that your time and location are shared with the wider audience...
...and generally I'm not really a fan of that. Interestingly parkrun photographers, or people who take photos during parkrun and upload them to the site, now have a code of conduct to follow, must wear a high viz and are encouraged to take photos of groups, rather than individuals in a bid to combat episodes of people being stalked and whatnot. And if you don't want your photograph taken or to be identified in the results...don't come. By doing parkrun, you agree to this. So no, I wasn't particularly enthused by being notified of my 50th parkrun.
And neither do I want photos of other people being sent to me. Still, it was a good run, and thanks to Chris for dragging me out to Congleton (little did I know I was getting a name-drop at Wilmslow for my 50th) and what is 3 laps round the lake. Chris guided me round for a warm up, pointing out the various 'obsitcles', such as they are, and where to start. "But the finish is there" I said pointing further round the route and adding that in fact it was actually 3 and a bit laps. "No Rich" he said "it's a bit...and then 3 laps." Genius 😊


