This winter, I've been running a little with a bum bag. I cringe even writing it. Ordinarily, I don't need or like to run with luggage. I don't need to snack or enjoy light refreshments enroute, or need other paraphernalia to brighten an otherwise extraordinary enjoyable experience that running around brings. But currently I am required to 'manage' a ridiculous bunch of keys, actual cash for coffee since my shop started a minimum card value, phone for photos and an extra top for my walk home to delay the inevitable hypothermia.
All of these have become a challenge to stash in my gloves...hence reluctantly revisiting the bum bag. The thing about a bum bag, is the jiggle. I don't really have any shape (thankfully) to help lock down unwanted movement. The consequence is either wearing it so tight below the hips that it's a constant irritant to the bladder and therefore my mind, and secondly either too high where it works it's way up to somewhere under my ribs, but bounces its way there via a slightly disturbing patting sensation on my arse cheeks.
Once under my ribs, there is a constant tap there, right there, yes there, there, that's it there, yup there, there, still there, THERE in the small of my back...which is exceptionally irritating beyond my capacity to ignore it. It's been a cold but amazing few days. The issue of trying to avoid stepping out in too many clothes dressed for the 'now' rather than how you'll feel in 15 mins or so and have to strip off, is magnified during these chilly mornings. And so too are the risks. Risk? I never really consider running as a risky sport.
But not running, when you're 3 miles from home, when just a moment earlier you were all toasty warm and bounding along, almost finished and thinking of your hot coffee, suddenly not running, sweaty, but icy cold and facing a slow and painful walk home in a thin shirt and shorts in sub freezing weather...it's not ideal. I don't really know what I've done. I have an idea, but dare not say it out loud. An unexpected pain under my heel, rapid onset, unable to 'run it off', forced to walk and eventually stop. Hmmm.
This has literally never happened to me before. Whatever has happened is one thing, getting back was another. Until now, I've had injuries, but they don't occur on the trail. You feel them after, once you're home...and warm. I've never been stranded before. But now I was consumed by a blend of vulnerability and foolishness as I stood there not quite sure what to do, which way to turn or indeed anything else. And at times like that, a bum bag with 'stuff' would have been mighty useful. Bummer.




