Sunday, 2 March 2014

I'm Over It

I'm embarrassed to read the final words of my last post. What a cock! Me, that is, not the words. My form at Cloud 9 today tells another story. I'm afraid to report...I was a bit shit. Friends near and far have 'had a word', shall we say, talking me through it and helping to repair the damage. I'm so over it now. Like hell I am. I think I set off too fast, puffing like a puffy thing even before the bottom of the hill. Then they all come past, my training group mates. And the head begins to crumble. But like I say, I'm over it. 

The highlight, to put things in perspective, was the much publicised shoe-wash. I've not seen such a feature advertised before and was perhaps more curious than anything else, imagining some Wallace and Gromit contraption. People had different approaches at the shoe-wash station. I stood back, already dejected and observed. There was one foot in, one foot out, strategic brushing and so on. Me, I went both feet in...and just stood there with my head hung low.

And I'm afraid not even the spectacular display of cakes could lift my spirits. Nor the soup, the free massage or Pete's heated seats. But like I say...I'm over it now. The race...it has everything. Trails, roads, hills, mud, rocks, obstacles, it's such a great experience and a real test. Last year I was somehow much better. Perhaps, as I'm told, simply a bad race today for me. And now I must leave it behind and rebuild. Tomorrow, a new week a fresh start. But first wine...and cake, but regrettably, no gin!