Is it me, or is there something slightly less appealing about the men's equivalent of the Skeleton, Short and Long Track Speed Skating and so on? Or am I just being a bloke? But really, the Winter Olympics has slowly gripped me, a pleasure to watch and learn about some of these niche sports and see athletes compete and display their craft at such a high level. When you look at the Dutch and their results in the Speed Skating, it reminds me of British Cycling. There's some clever team work going on there! And besides, I appreciate a firm thigh!
Not been on such great form this week. It's curtailed my running and have been forced to miss a couple of days. My fun this morning, the first for a few days was more recreational, than regimental. An urge to run up Shutlingsloe, be up high, higher than anywhere else and enjoy the spectacle of a crystal clear sunny morning. I didn't quite catch sunrise, but ran through the early mist on the way up through the Forest 5 route as the sun was poking though. Magical really. As was the rest of the run.
On a minor level, I had some new Seal Skinz socks. A revelation in terms of keeping my feet dry, clean and reducing that feeling of running on partially defrosted hams for feet. And kind of kinky...an odd sensation when you pull them on for the first time. The real beauty though, are the views and sense of isolation you can get up here. Sure, if you squint, you can see Manchester and Jodrell Bank; landmarks confirming your disconnection. It all seems far enough away to be irrelevant.
My last run prior to this was up in Edinburgh. I know the city reasonably well, but not well enough to create a 6.00am city street run that wouldn't get me into trouble. On the map, it looked fine. Out to Hollyrood Park and run the obvious looking perimeter road! Dark and unfamiliar, the clockwise route soon began a steady climb. I looked up, saw a wakening sky and jinked right up into the hills. A spectacular view of the city. Over the other side, and up another crest. Apparently Arthur's Seat! Back to Ricks for the best eggy breakfast. How do you like yours?



