Just one incident with a dog this morning, and then it was the not-so-small matter of negotiating the ungulates, who were standing in the way of me and a cup of tea at Chris's. I don't habitually check out the gentleman's area of anyone or thing, as a rule, but it was the horns that got me worried! All horny and pointing at me, it seemed a little trivial to question gender, but were these actual real bulls or what, and why did I wear this stupid red T-shirt again? I was feeling edgy!
Then the mooing started. But it seemed that was coming from the across the Bollin, a loaner had literally crossed to the other side. I needn't have worried, in fact I could have been a little put out, such was the level of disdain and disinterest the bullocks showed in me. When I arrived at Chris's, I'd text ahead, requesting a brew, he told me how he'd been out already this morning with Riley feeding them grass and how they liked to be stroked and nuzzled in for a cuddle. Yeah, whatever!
I went to Chris's not only for a bit of company and a cuppa, but also to tell him I'd laid to rest the gremlins of running up to The Edge out of Alderley village. The other day we were wondering what had happened to the days when we'd run out and do hills reps on the road out to Macc. We couldn't really answer why, other than perhaps we'd got used to not doing it, and were now perhaps a bit overwhelmed at the prospect. So an early morning out for some nostalgia and views from a favourite vantage point.
At the top of the hill by the speed limit sign, I was greeted with the sun just poking out above the trees. Heavenly...sort of! Though I've been up the The Edge a few times, I've run up the other side. It was tough this morning, maybe something to do with the first Cross Country race yesterday at Heaton Park, but I had a calling. It was as it always has been, a tough mile ascent with a few changes in gradient allowing for a brief notion of recovery before that deceptive never-ending final lunge to the sign.
I did OK yesterday in the first of the series of 5 matches. I managed to be classified as a counter in the Wilmslow B team. Happy with that, and also with the fact that once again a steady start meant rich pickings as the laps unwound. I still don't relish this as a sport, a thought further confirmed as I watched those behind me cross the line, snorting, gasping, foaming at the mouth, snot everywhere. Still it was gorgeous day and fun to watch the juniors and girls set off. And there was cake. Brownies, lemon drizzle and chocolate. Nice!


