I look at this pile of dripping wet clothes shed on the bathroom floor. It says something to me...I'm not sure what, but it's only after RunClub speed training that it's like this. Different from other running efforts, somehow, wetter even than running in rain! This is honest sweat. Rep after rep after rep. After every rep you feel like that was your last. I'm done. Tank empty. 15 down, but still 5 to go. Then 4 left, but legs have turned to mush, 3 to go, heart screaming, each breath like drawing in fire, this is it, I really can't do any more...2, then 1 to go. There's no sense of relief, just greater doubt. This is beyond digging deep. Finally, it's over. We all keel over, no talking, just gasping, retching, steaming, making our own fog in the cold night. Gradually we stand, bewildered, looking at each other wondering what has just happened. Of course, it's like this every time. I gaze again at my wet kit. It's deeply satisfying!
