Just back from a recovery run. Physical and emotional placating necessary. Took a battering last night, so in some attempt to redeem myself, a trot to The Mill was planned. I had company for once, a chap who I latched onto along the top path, we chatted for a bit, and then the scarecrows appeared. I remember that it's Wilmslow Scarecrow Festival again, a fun event where many of the towns shops and businesses get creative. I counted 5 by The Mill. Another 195 to find and name!
Really, there are only a few points where you have real choice of a route to take, one of these proving to be my undoing. My plan was to set off steady. 4 miles of uphill was not the calling for a fast start. Nope, I settled close to the back and indeed took it steady. But as we entered Lyme Park, I was definitely aware that what ever energy I was saving, it had yet to join the party. Around the Cage, I had a feeling I was in trouble, but obviously ignored that and pursued my plan.
Nonetheless, I took 4 club placings on the way down and just managed to hold my head high across the finish. Not where I should have been. On the plus side, there was sunshine, rain, wind, panoramic views, stampeding deer and a good pub. A detour on the way home and comfort eating of the highest order. Very necessary. No running around for me until Sunday now. The small matter of The Welsh Castles Relay. I have been given a Mountain Stage, stage 11. And what do I want for this race...merely to survive!




