It's Thursday and I've not run since Sunday. Rubbish. I'm not really sure what's happened in between. Moreover, I'm not sure specifically what's happened in the last 24 hours. Man Flu. I don't need to explain, but obviously I will. Part of the symptoms of Man Flu include the need to share with anyone, everyone exactly how I feel...just so you understand it's not the cliche that is often associated with Man Flu, but that this is the real deal...again! I have just woken after a good 18 hour stint in bed, largely unconscious. A little surreal, A rummage downstairs triggers a few faint memories of the night...laughing, shrieking, music. And in the kitchen lots of empty wine bottles and lipstick encrusted glasses.
Seems I've missed something. Not sure what, though. There's evidence of some bedside care, a stack of mugs with lemsippy residue in each and a half eaten piece of toast. It's funny. Like I've lost a chunk of time that I can't really account for. I've sensed it coming for a while...the sort of thing that your mum would say 'are you sure you're ok...you look a bit run down'. Run down! My run out on Sunday was with Pete and George. Pete's back to blogging. Just reading it makes me feel fatigued at his unyielding self determination. I support everything he does in this respect, but at times you stand back and laugh at him and the absurdity of it all. Laughter is the best medicine.
The run was fun and very splashy. Or 'easy' according to his schedule. Pete's runs are now classified as 'easy/moderate/hard'. If I'd said I had enjoyed the run, he'd look at me suspiciously and feel a need to check the schedule. He'd been out the night before, so stopped on the way back to pick up his car. There was something very liberating to watch George jump onto the back seat without a care in the world. A wet muddy dog and cream leather. 'Ah well' we giggled.
I do have a reputation for being a bit clean and tidy. But equally, I do like to use stuff. I'm easy with getting stuff dirty after it's just been cleaned. It's the cleaning I enjoy, not the keeping clean. And I couldn't help keeping my feet off the clean white fluffy towels once I got home. It was the contrast I enjoyed. Not a popular notion! Later I made a Stollen. Check out the subtle slug of Marzipan. I don't know what I was thinking! I also went out to a local farm shop to view potential Christmas Fayre. Aren't Turkeys ugly?
Kind of put me off the whole thing. I was then at home and caught a snippet of cross country on the TV. I sat there gazing at it wondering how I can be so detached from something I enjoy doing so much. Running that is, not cross country specifically. Even a high profile European course that was on, was a tedious taped off field of uninspiring random lefts and rights. Why? It's unlikely I'll run for a couple of days. Once again, that takes me to Saturday. Perhaps a second crack at a fast ParkRun. Lets see.