I'm browsing the latest Runners World and come across a survey that asks why people run. Seemingly 15% of runners run because they enjoy it! I'm still not sure what I think about this 'stat', but as a percentage, this was one of the top answers, yet because of the breadth of answers, it's actually insignificant. The other nine included fitness, stress relief and the top answer with 18% being weight loss. I suspect people 'enjoy' these attributes as a consequence of running, but if you ask yourself and those around you, the answers are varied. And indeed, very few will respond 'because I enjoy it' as overtly as I did when asked. And this brings me to 'not running'. I've not run for a week, since Christmas Eve.
![]() |
| "WTF..." |
I'm not enjoying that...not at all. My ankle has been giving me hell, swollen over my heel where the Achilles tendon joins, so went to see physio Wayne who diagnosed Achilles Tendon Insertion Inflammation. Indeed! Despite the fact I too am a registered healthcare professional, having the obvious confirmed by another and assuring me that not only will I walk again, but more than likely run within the next few days, I left immeasurably more optimistic about life in general than I had been all week, despite, like the unfortunately named Achilles himself, acknowledging that this is a weakness of mine. Over the festive period I seem to have done nothing more than eat and sleep. Certainly nothing healthy. I've even converted once healthy bananas into not quite so healthy Banana cake.
My best yet, due, no doubt, to using my new Christmas kitchen scales and finally waving good bye to the the notion that I know best and listening to those around me who say I should measure stuff properly. So while I have missed the enjoyment of running, I too have been witnessing bouts of rapid onset obesity, failing health and so on. But worst of all, the thing that any injured runner fears the most...a visit in the night from the fitness goblins.
Pete too has been suffering! Although he's been describing it as 'not feeling great', we all know it's man flu. His worse dreams have come true... Two days missed training (despite one of these being a formal rest day) and the realisation that his 'schedule' has now been put back a year due to lost fitness. Life is as good as over. Instead it seems we've both been rattling around our respective homes enforced to share the company of those who love us, eat excessive quantities of mighty fine food and watch the crappiest and hence the best TV that's only on at this time of year.
In other words...just like everyone else, enjoying Christmas, resting and recharging our batteries! But if running really is your passion, then you get what I mean.
The phrase 'fitness goblins' came up in discussion over a coffee with a group of us the other day. It reminded me of a piece of work that I'm consulting over where a wax model, or Écorché is being made for a RCS exhibition called Anatomy of an Athlete. It will feature a model of Rich Whitehead and is one of the most fascinating things I have seen during 2011. The detail is extraordinary. I'm looking forward to the finished item, but now it's time for another round of icing and anti inflam's.
Happy New Year. May there be plenty of Running Around.

