Saturday, 10 December 2011

"A Bit Slippy"

I wouldn't say I'm brand dependent, though as I look around me it's evident I like my motors German, my techy stuff fruity, music hardware British and my running apparel with a swoosh. I think it's more that I simply just like stuff to work with as little hassle as possible. Aside from that, I'd like to think I'm an independent thinker, capable of making my own decisions without influence of hype or dazzle. Clearly I'm not! But I like to think so. So I was tanking down the A50 last week.

I pulled into the service station as if on auto pilot and found myself staring at a Starbucks sign, traffic queueing behind, salivating like a Pavlovian dog at the prospect of a Caramel Latte. I need to address this, it's becoming habitual, though very tasty. The other thing I associate with coffee and stopping at Starbucks, is the need to pee. So although I sat there looking at the drive-thru sign, I couldn't quite work out how I'd get back into the car park so could then get out and go to the loo. Not sure this is going to catch on as concept. But a hot coffee is a great way to start a chilly day.

And it has been colder lately. Even the car had a smattering of sleet on the roof this morning. Last week, huddled in the club gazebo, Ed was telling me about his impressive 19.32 5K he got at South Manchester Park Run. The course is flat and on tarmac, and good for a pb. Keen to draw a line in the sand, this was my mission this morning. Whatever the weather, I was going to be out there. Considering I crave for the great outdoors and the hills, my running lately has been drawn towards the inner cities. South Manchester Park Run pushes you deep in to urban territory and so it was with a little trepidation that I decided I needed to man it up to go and mix it with the urbanites around Platt Fields.

This is another inner city park that is full of colour and imagery of different perspectives to the fields and hills of Cheshire. I went because I wanted a pb. I had work to do. I was in a determined frame of mind. I was up early, recovery drink ready, parked up and set about my warm up in good time. This is a new Park Run and there aren't so many people who come yet. There was about 50 or so today. I was a little concerned about the complexity of the course and the fact that looking at the results from previous races I could be near the front (ish) where the field is spread out.

Therefore a chance I might get lost, navigation at these events not being my strong point. There were toilets there and everything. A few very large dogs with equally large owners looked a little threatening, as did some of the course marshals. 5 mins to go, I sense something has happened. An announcement. Park Run cancelled "as it's a bit slippy". Seriously, WTF? And that was that. Game over. Not so roughy toughy after all. The thing about Bramhall Park Run, my nearest in the leafy burbs of Northeast Cheshire, is that I've run that in sun, rain, snow, ice, mud, the lot. And so I'm here back home with things to do, my running window closed, but with a runners equivalent of coitious interruptus. Frustrated.