Tuesday, 7 June 2016

Revelations

So, I went for my scan today. I don't know what that will reveal, if anything, or if any change will come of it. It's been a week of revelations in many respects. A run round in circles with Pete, and the Italian U21 National Rugby squad; another story, on Saturday illustrated a woeful lack of fitness. Then domestic matters have revealed an emotion I've not experienced before; it's acidic and leaving behind a permanent scar. And the weather has revealed that sunshine makes me happy.

 

This latter point seems a little superficial. But I'm sure the feeling of warmth on anyone's skin has a soothing and calming effect on even the most troubled of minds. As does wine. I guess I'm a bit anxious about my scan. Although I am running a little now, I don't really want to have any news that suggests I should stop. On the other hand, I have found myself wondering if I even want to continue. But my first run out with the boys this evening has countered all of that.

 

It's been 12 weeks since I've done our infamous PCR, a gentle Monday evening social outing, with chat and banter and nothing in anyway that can be or should be measured except by the size of the smile. But, it was 28 degrees today, and there was much huffing and puffing and general sweatiness. It was great. That feeling of being consumed in heat, no area untouched, this is an immersive experience. And aren't injuries like this...always a focal point, something to engage your mind...until something else comes along to distract that feeling.

 

With the heat and chat, I never once thought about my heel. And as I sit here and write this, all seems fine. We shall see. I had an enormous bike ride on Sunday, out beyond Macc Forest, and the Goyt Valley. There was some climbing of note, and on my road bike this time, I was aware I'd never seen anyone pushing a road bike up a hill, but on a mountain bike, this almost seems routine. Yet I was as close to any edge as I've been, imminently about to toss my leg over and walk.

 

But I didn't! Again, the weather has been amazing for this. Up super early to catch without doubt the best part of the day. Having said that, I was back to join in with junior parkrun which is always thoroughly engaging and very entertaining, and then had an amazing meal with Pete and Jo in the evening. Almost perfect! A new week lies ahead. My legs are tired. And so am I. I'd really like to give runclub a bash, but I think this weekend coming I may step out of marshalling and actually run at parkrun.