I don't actually know too many people who routinely or unquestioningly run on their own. I don't know what it means if you do, or if you don't. But for those who don't, it seems a step too far...a fear perhaps, certainly not something that's appealing. "When did you last run on your own, Chris?" "I don't think I ever have, Rich." And maybe that puts a different perspective on why people run. Is escape, freedom and isolation another's idea of loneliness, boredom and an outing without a cause? Maybe it depends on whose shoes you are wearing at the time.
I ran with new people last night. Strangers, but company. But in a training context, people to motivate and encourage, sharing the moment and pushing each other to complete the set...but in silence...not a word spoken, yet a bond created! I would have liked to run with my own club. But again, I couldn't. The previous morning, I was up early. I see other people running, even at 6.00am, but always alone. Never a group, or a pair...nothing social. And I sometimes wonder why they are out, where have they come from, where are they going...what is their story?

