Saturday, 14 February 2015

Snowdrops

Well, no running for a straight week. Grim or what? If I close my eyes, yes. If I open them, I see a fine piece of Victoria Sponge...so all isn't bad with the world. I know the latter is short lived, though, while my back continues to niggle and nag. I did do a circuit class on Wednesday. Not been for a while and indeed we were all alarmed to see a new instructor, as resident regular Al was off. "Oooh, this could be hard", everyone sucked in through gritted teeth. It made us all question why we come! Hard exercise clearly not on the agenda.

I did a modest run this morning. Through the woods, back through the fields in to the village. I realise this isn't a description that could in anyway help you pinpoint where I mean...but imagine woods, imagine fields...that's about it. In fact, as isolated thoughts go, these are quite pleasing. I'll stop short at 'idyllic', but we're nodding in that general direction. And it certainly goes some way towards answering that question my mum asked me a few days ago...'why do you put yourself through this?'

There's a back story to her line of enquiry, but stripped back, it's a question I'm sure we all ask ourselves from time to time, even though we never have any real doubt over the answer. I spent most of yesterday on the M6/40/25. There was a point where I was wondering if I'd ever see daylight again. And indeed, a nasty smash on the M40 this morning makes you appreciate that there's a thin line we all tread. This morning I saw snowdrops. A lone clump under an isolated tree. Hmmm...a sign of Spring.