"Well, did you enjoy that?" a question directed from one girl to another as she just crossed the finish line of the Wizard 5 up at Alderley Edge. It's a curious question, one I have asked others, been asked myself. Often the answer is a flat 'no', yet you know it's meant to be something you enjoy...it is, after all, your hobby. But 'enjoy'??? Not really the first thought as you struggle to hang on to your lunch, while clutching your knees preventing an imminent collapse.
Eventually she stood up and answered. 'I was positive all the way round, put it that way'. And that answer kind of resonated with me. I liked it. I had just run the race of my life and taken a few mighty scalps in the club ranks. An hour before I was lying on the bed convinced I wasn't going to run, but later when the gun went I decided to aim high and latched onto the heels of one of the big boys at the club. The route goes around the Edge, then into the Hare Hill Estate, back through the farm and finishing outside the Wizard Cafe and Pub.
Almost 300 runners, I started up nearer the front this time. But all the way round, I felt fresh, engaged in banter, thanked the marshals, managed a few pre-stile sneaky overtakes...all the way to the end. I was just 'on it' and felt good for the duration, though was secretly waiting for the wheels to fall off. And afterwards I felt that this was down to my mental attitude. I too was 'positive' all the way round. Equally, it may have been that massive piece of flapjack!
I got my ticket to history today. August 4th, Olympic Park, Mens 400m heats. Oscar Pistorius will run for South Africa. This is such a huge story in my area of work. Everyone has an opinion about this, little of it with any factual value. If you judge him, judge him also on the Olympic Values. It's what it's all about, afterall!