At the end of my weekend, I sucked on a cup of hot coffee and a jam scone like it was to be my last, but at the beginning, a different story altogether. I was sipping Champagne for the second time in as many weeks. I don't drink it without occasion, and that occasion is rarely mine, but it was my mates birthday and I'd been invited to play cricket. Cricket...what do you think about that? Whatever it may be, and whatever thoughts I have, if any, they soon changed when that sky ball came in my direction.
Hurtling towards me, out of the sun to the sound of my team mates shouting useful advice like 'catch it'. It was only after another 3 balls, when I thought no one was looking that I plucked up courage to look at my hands for the damage that matched the pain of that unsuccessful catch! The experience reminded me a little of being at school and the pain of team sports that did nothing for inclusion, only isolation. I have since learnt that all ball sports, no matter even if the ball is stationary, ball sports and I are not good bed fellows.
When pain is matched with beauty, then Sunday was to deliver it in extreme measures. A run along a section of Offa's Dyke in North Wales had another glorious day of sunshine. What was to be a shortish 14 miles or so, turned out into an adventure that left us with 20 miles and 4500 feet of climb recorded. The views were stunning, for as far as the eye could see, green fields and blue skies. Quite breath taking...not good for hay-fever, though. We were split into teams, Blue, Yellow and Pink. Pink were tight.
But as the sun rose, and stops for map consultations increased, the pain of the day ramped up. We were all tired and starting to make mistakes and I couldn't stop sneezing. As we came off the hills, the temperature rose faster than our thirst could defend. We were aiming for a Cafe, something about motorbikes and pasties. I didn't really understand, but I knew I was ready for food and drink of any description, as were we all. Eventually we had to come off the trial and join a busy road, full of motorbikes.
It was surreal, for minutes on end they just flowed past, forcing us on the verge. I took a few photo's...then I fell, tripping on a car trim wire that lassoed my feet. Head first. Not happy. The others came back, lots of blood, but not as bad as it looked. After a walk and still sneezing, I jogged on...and there it was. An oasis and motorcycle Nirvana...The Ponderosa Cafe. Car Park jammed with motorbikes (and our waiting bus) and my scone packed with jam. It was heavenly. Exactly what I needed.
I don't normally run these kind of distances. The terrain kept pace in check, but after a while you feel that kind of rhythm that if you increase your speed you'd surely be spent within moments, yet any slower and you'd stop. So you just keep kind of plodding on. And as the miles ticked by, thoughts changed from enjoying the scenery to thinking about this cafe, some obsessing, hallucinating even. Reflecting later, I ask coffee or Champagne? I have to say, the coffee wins! It was a life saver.
I don't normally run these kind of distances. The terrain kept pace in check, but after a while you feel that kind of rhythm that if you increase your speed you'd surely be spent within moments, yet any slower and you'd stop. So you just keep kind of plodding on. And as the miles ticked by, thoughts changed from enjoying the scenery to thinking about this cafe, some obsessing, hallucinating even. Reflecting later, I ask coffee or Champagne? I have to say, the coffee wins! It was a life saver.


