Sunday, 4 December 2016

Measured

I told Matt I'd been doing some analysis of our 10K this morning. He sent me a screen shot of his mile splits, I sent him a picture of my favourite Clif Bar...the goodie bag had quite a selection. In real terms, we probably meet half way in our respective level of interest and concern on such matters, but I did find myself also looking for my picture at the Wilmslow 10K, but soon gave up voicing out loud 'for heavens sakes, I was there...what is it I'm actually looking for?' Much is the same when looking at the GPS map of a run...yup, that's the way I went.

Yet it's difficult not to. It's sort of interesting. At least we're not like Pete who let slip the other evening "I was looking at Jason's heart rate on Strava and did you know he averages..." ... we had to stop him there! Matt was impressed with my vertical oscillation, though! What I did note, though, about my own performance today was that I'd managed a negative split. The course was down and up, so we can't blame the terrain, more that I'd planned it this way. It suggests, and indeed I tried to exercise some kind of control in unravelling my effort today. Measured.

Why, because yesterday was a similar story, somehow a double booked weekend, it was Match 3 of the Cross Country, this time at Heaton Park, and I delivered my performance in much the same way. I ran well in both races, but only, it seems, because I was scared of the consequences of potentially over doing it on Saturday because Sunday was to come, and likewise the same on Sunday because of what Saturday had taken out of me. Basically I was shit scared I was going to mess up...publicly. And no one likes that.

And neither was my preparation great, parkrun RD on Saturday before XC and car park marshal at silly o'clock this morning before the 10k. Yet they've been my 2 best performances of the year. Makes no sense. Anyway, that's been my weekend. A lot of running, I've almost bored myself with it all, but it has kept my December streak alive. I don't really know why I'm doing this, so I won't mention it again. It was the Crunchy Peanut, for reference. Yesterday it was the chocolate cake. The girls look after the boys at the XC.