Saturday, 9 May 2015

Vote

It was a bit awkward at the polling station on Thursday morning. I was one of the first to arrive, just after 7 and strolling in with my coffee. "Got your card, mate?" This is big Dave and seemingly talking to me. I think he's the manager of the Leisure Centre and temporary voting hole. He looks like a former weight lifter who may no longer indulge in the sport, but he's been diligent with continuing his diet. Imposing is a word. And therefore I felt the need to explain...it said I didn't need to bring my card, just give my name and address.

He then asked if I was going to pay...and at this point it all kind of went wrong. It seems he interpreted my athletic look, meaning all covered in shit and snot wearing a sweaty top and a silly hat, with someone who had come with intention of using the gym. My membership card he was after, not my polling card. Of course, I'd been for a run and timed the coffee and voting stop to perfection. I had it planned like a bit of an occasion...run, coffee, vote...a pleasant morning out was my vision.

The confusion continued at the desk. Inundated with voting cards in small print and booths located in a council leisure centre reception area lit with low energy 3W bulbs, I could see bugger all and was wishing I'd brought my glasses. More humiliating still was a small kerfuffle behind me when the officials were trying to establish the identity of the man who followed me in. He was in fact a local council candidate, but they had no record for him. The run was slightly less entertaining, as have most of them lately.

Another 50 mile or so week, and I don't really know where it's all taking me...except to Tony's for new trail shoes. Mine are falling off my feet, or to be more accurate, my feet are falling out of them. Holes and rips everywhere. In a bid to ease my back, I've been keeping to the trails and fields, but my feet and ankles have been aching lately, probably because I'm not rotating my shoes. These are well past their used-by date, as actually are any pair of road shoes I have. Time for some retail therapy, I think.