Sunday, 11 May 2014

Wet & Happy

How quickly we forget those miserable dark nights and rainy mornings of what was only a few weeks ago. This time last week though, I was reflecting on a stash of sunny photos. This morning I lay in bed listening to the rain and wind...questioning my arrangements, those being to meet Sharon, and anyone else we may bump in to, 2 miles up the road in Alderley. Sharon also is recovering from a bout of man flu, but seems to discuss it less! A 'steady' 12 is prescribed. 

I confess, I checked my phone a couple of times, just to see if she may have sacked it off. No such message...and I did toy with the thought of what my reaction might have been...but left that thought hanging. Stepping out into the rain. It's a barrier, and I hesitate, watching, listening. A deep breath, and out. Of course, it's fine. It's only because I've lost my routine. Very few miles again this week...running more if I fancy, rather than because of the 'plan'.

So there's a conceptual element of choice. Actually, it's great and I draw on all those words of wisdom I endorse to encourage the others. You only get wet once, then it's fine. And it's better than fine. Rain's pouring off my cap, then sun, then more rain. A good run, but two more races missed this past week and I can't tell when the next race will come. The race diary is full, but I just can't see myself in any of them right now. Happy though.