I've been going through a bit of a lean period on the cake consumption front. Such is the race calendar this time of year, there hasn't been time, or actually what I mean there is energy, to engage in long leisurely solo runs with a fist full of cake vouchers ready to exchange. Having said that, I don't wish to imply that I'm going without; a recent spell of races has been delivering fine fayre on an all together different level. The Pie & Peas is an example without need of an explanation.
Aside from the obvious, this 5 miler has an interesting start, lined up across the entire width of a playing field all aiming at a gap in the hedge some 100m ahead. Once the gun goes, there is a kind of 'charge' for the gap. It's a disappointing feeling to have blown up before even the first corner of a race. A stunning sunny evening and some good points in the end, but as always here, the pie is the star. A great effort and gesture from the organisers make it a truly special event, so much more than just a race.
Today, the rewards weren't so obvious prior to the Great Warford 10 mile. As it turns out, a bottle of Joggers Tipple beer was waiting for every finisher. Excellent. In fact it was a good race also. No points going today, this was just for fun, so a chance to experiment. That meant a steady start, chatting with a few mates, then in the second half cranking it up and getting a tidy PB. It wasn't my intention to seek a PB, it just came my way. And that for me is a clean sweep of PB's for all distances in 2013.
It's quite a fitting conclusion to what is now a break in our racing calendar. I'm happy. Everyone needs a rest. But I'm not getting one. I need to get back to some routine and take responsibility for my own actions, rather than be lured by competition and the promise of points. But one feeds the other and vice versa. And because I'm able to do this, it enables me to pack my bags for a couple of weeks and join a very special project. Tomorrow, I go North.
